Tomorrow marks the beginning of the last full month of my 20’s. In early January I will be turning 30. I have been nervous about this upcoming birthday. As a teen and young adult I held such high expectations for myself. Over the last year I have found myself let down that I did not accomplish some of the things I had set out to do.
Let me give you an example of what I mean. I have always told myself that I would, like my mother did, have children in my 20’s. I am not a mother as of yet. I have truly beat myself up and fretted over this. Instead of focusing on the present beauty and amazement of the relationship I am in, I have focused on the “future” of that relationship and where I want it to go. To the extent that is has caused division in my partnership. I also said I would not be overweight when I turned 30. I am still over 200lbs with a 5’4″ frame. While I know that I have come a long way from where I was 5 years ago, I have not been satisfied. I have been very angry at myself about not having met my goal weight. This has only led to self doubt and depression.
These cycles of unrealistic expectations and the inevitable heartache that I put myself through have to stop. I have to contemplate what happiness truly means for me. And I have to create a plan to achieve it. I cannot let others thoughts and expectations of who I am supposed to be cloud who I AM.
This last week I have truly thought about what I want in life. I don’t want tons of money and fame and notoriety, but I do want stability and less anxiety about what may be in store for my present and future. Part of that comes with living in the present moment, and part of it comes from committing to goals for the future. To help myself center and focus on achieving these goals, I have compiled a list of 30 things that I will commit to in my 30’s. Take a moment to read over them. Many of these commitments are things that you can start RIGHT now at any age. This list is just a starting point. I hope that as I master each one, I will be able to add a new one to the list. I hope this will keep me in a constant state of mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, and professional growth.
- I will drink more water. A gallon a day at least.
- I will stay out of the sun as much as possible.
- I will not set deadlines based on my age (like having kids before I am 30).
- I will focus on eating better. My life literally depends on it.
- I will work out at least 3 times each and EVERY week.
- I will spend less time on social media and more time on the things around me.
- I will listen to my body’s needs before they become demands.
- I will start a small business and put my heart into growing it. ( I have already started this one!!! See my Facebook Blog page for more details)
- I will wash my face before bed every night and never sleep with makeup on.
- I will use more natural remedies for everything. (Like coconut oil for moisturizer)
- I will focus on building my credit to a number I can be proud of.
- I will balance a budget and save money at the end of each month.
- I will put thought into my appearance and will not accept laziness.
- I will learn how to use my fancy Nikon Camera.
- I will meditate often and work towards good Karma.
- I will give my time to charity regularly.
- I will stop cracking my knuckles.
- I will moisturize from head to toe every day, twice a day.
- I will cut out sugary soda from my regular diet.
- I will pay attention to the health of my hair.
- I will try new makeup styles.
- I will de-clutter my surroundings and donate excess to others once a month.
- I will get out of debt completely.
- I will contemplate a new positive mantra each week.
- I will cook the majority of my food and will stop eating take out/fast food.
- I will set monthly writing goals for my Blog and my novel.
- I will master self-discipline.
- I will nurture my relationships to be a better partner, daughter, friend, employee and co-worker.
- I will love deeper and with less resistance.
- I will stop focusing on how others view me and will focus instead on loving the way I view myself.